Flying Pig Marathon’s Toyota 20 Days on the Run begins Friday
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon powered by P&G, the marathon will host 20 days of community activities leading up to Flying Pig Marathon weekend, May 4-6.
The full marathon race of the Flying Pig Marathon is sold out, however, the sister races on Friday, May 4 (Little Kings Mile), Saturday, May 5 (10K, 5K, Kids Races, PigAbilities and Flying Fur) are available for registration as well as the races on May 6 (4-person relay and half marathon). To register for these races, visit www.FlyingPigMarathon.com.
“Our communities along the Flying Pig route have always been very supportive of the marathon, so we wanted to include them in our 20th anniversary,” said Iris Simpson Bush, executive director. “Our 20 days will celebrate all those who have made this anniversary possible.”
The Toyota 20 Days on the Run, in partnership with Toyota and Queen City Running, begins on Friday, April 13 with a celebrity torch relay that will follow the marathon route. An awards show at the Aronoff Center called the PIGGYs and a free concert by COIN at The Banks along with yoga, college baseball and Tunes and Blooms at the Cincinnati Zoo highlight the calendar, which includes:
- Friday, April 13: Celebrity Torch Relay, 11 a.m., begins at Paul Brown Stadium
- Saturday, April 14: 20/12 training run; Iris Simpson Bush, celebrity captain at Cincinnati Reds game
- Sunday, April 15: Free Yoga, by Modo Yoga, at Rhinegeist, 10:30 a.m.
- Monday, April 16: Boston Marathon Watch Party, 11 a.m., Fountain Square; Fleet Feet/ASICS MadTree Pub Run, 6:30 p.m., Iris Simpson Bush keynote speaker for Women’s Sports Association dinner, Cintas Center
- Tuesday, April 17: Fit in the City, by Jenergy, Devou Park, 5:30 p.m., after party at Braxton Brewery, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 18: UC vs. XU baseball game, Marge Schott Stadium, University of Cincinnati, 6 p.m.
- Thursday, April 19: Tunes and Blooms, Cincinnati Zoo, 5 p.m., Queen City Running Pub Run,
- Friday, April 20: Activities Beyond the Classroom youth soccer program, University of Cincinnati
- Saturday, April 21: ArtsWave Block Party/Mural at Taft Museum; 6-9 p.m. FC Cincinnati soccer, University of Cincinnati Nippert Stadium, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, April 22: Team in Training event, Taft’s Ale House, Time, $1 from every beer sold will go to LLS
- Monday, April 23: Pig Game Night at the Rook, Over the Rhine, 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 24: Cheers to Art, Over the Rhine, Flying Pig Marathon Painting, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 25: Tri-State Running at 50 West Brewery, 6 p.m.
- Thursday, April 26: Yappy Hour, Washington Park, 5-7 p.m.; Cheers to Art, Madeira, 7 p.m. Flying Pig Marathon Painting
- Friday, April 27: Peoples’ Liberty Gallery Opening for Flying Pig Marathon photo exhibit, Final Friday, 6 p.m.; event made possible by the Carol Ann & Ralph V. Haile, Jr. US Bank Foundation
- Saturday, April 28: Marathon course cleanup, Eastern Ave., 9 a.m.; after party, POP Bar, noon
- Sunday, April 29: Greater Cincinnati Running Hall of Fame Banquet
- Monday, April 30: Proclamation of Flying Pig Week in Cincinnati, Covington, and Newport, New Riff Distillery Reception and Tasting, 6-8 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 1: FSQ Fit, Fountain Square, 6-7 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 2: Jack Rabbit Happy Hour Run, O’Bryons Newport
The Toyota 20 Days on the Run leads up to The PIGGYs, presented by P&G, which will be held Thursday, May 3 from 5:30-8 p.m. at the Aronoff Center to honor participants, volunteers, sponsors and the “Streakers” (86 runners who have done all 19 Flying Pig marathons and are registered to run the 20th marathon). The Show will be broadcast live on WLWT, Channel 5 from 7-8 p.m. Attire is sneaker formal. Tickets to the event are on sale at www.cincinnatiarts.org/piggys.
COIN, the indie pop band from Nashville, will headline a free concert on Friday, May 4, beginning at 6 p.m. at The Banks on Freedom Way. The concert, presented by The Project and supported by CE Power, will also include performances by DJ E Trayn, Moonbeau and Telehope, is free and open to the public.