Anthony Muñoz Foundation to Honor Tri-State’s Best Linemen
The Anthony Muñoz Foundation is now accepting nominations for the 2018 Offensive and Defensive Linemen of the Year Award, which rewards outstanding students who show success not only on the football field, but also in the classroom and in their community. All high school linemen grades 9 through12, from the Tri-State region, are eligible for this award. Anyone can nominate a deserving student athlete. Nominations are now open and will close Monday, December 11.
An offensive and defensive lineman will be awarded in each of the following categories:
- Ohio Divisions 1-6 (12 finalists)
- Northern Kentucky (2 finalists)
- Southeast Indiana (2 finalists)
The Foundation’s selection committee will then choose two of these finalists to be awarded as the overall Offensive and Defensive Linemen of the Year at the National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete Banquet. This year’s selection committee members are:
- Anthony Muñoz- Former Cincinnati Bengals Offensive Lineman and NFL Hall of Famer
- Clint Boling – Current Cincinnati Bengals Offensive Lineman
- Michael Muñoz- Former All-American Offensive Lineman at the University of Tennessee
- Dave Lapham- former Cincinnati Bengals Offensive Lineman and current Bengals radio analyst
- Mike Dyer – High School Sports Reporter for WCPO.com
The selection committee will also choose a student-athlete to be recognized with the "In the Trenches" Leadership Award. They will take into consideration the student-athlete’s academic accomplishments, community involvement as well as athletic achievements.
“I get especially excited about this award each year,” said Anthony Muñoz. “It’s great to see these young men we recognize put in the hard work to become the best on the field but also to be men of character off the field.”
Since 2002, more than 250 high school athletes have been recognized as Linemen of the Year. Past year’s recipients of this award now attend colleges such as Ohio State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio University, Florida State, and Michigan State.
For more information about the Foundation’s Linemen of the Year Awards and to nominate a student-athlete, visit munozfoundation.org